Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Relationships

There has been much chatter of relationships around our monkey group lately. There is talk of soul mates and heartbreaks, anniversaries and breakups, true love and falling in love (oh0 and infertility-ha).
With each comment that I've contributed to these discussions, I am reminded more and more of something that I wholeheartedly believe to be true, and that is this:
In real love, there are no mind games. There is no manipulation and no guilt-producing accusations like “Why don’t you trust me?” or “Who are you sleeping with?”
There is no pleading to be forgiven and no promises to never do it again (whatever ‘it’ may be) because there are no violations of trust that require forgiveness.
There is no wondering about whether or not the person you are with truly loves you, because you know he/she does. You can feel it.
What you get from a true, loving relationship is this: enjoyment of each other’s company, honest caring for the other person, consideration of each other’s feelings, and real partnership—not a one-sided deal with one of you as the giver and the other as the taker.
To be sure, there are problems that need to be solved. But they are resolved without drama and life goes on.
If you had told me this years ago when I was in the midst of a relationship riddled with drama, mistrust, and unhappiness, I would not have believed you. I would have said it was a naïve and overly simplistic view.
But I will say it now: I WAS WRONG!- Love is all of these things- and MORE!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment